2023 Back-to-School Fair – July 27, 2023
Sponsor a Backpack
Donate $25 to sponsor a backpack, school supplies and shoes for a child who will attend the 2023 Back to School Fair.
The Jefferson County Health and Education Committee is a partnership of local non-profits and area health and social service organizations. The committee meets throughout the year to evaluate community needs and organize fundraising activities to fund the Back-to-School Fair.
We are always looking for new members and new ideas. If you would like to get involved please contact Paulette Hensley at Pauletteh@dra4help.org or (636) 931-7696.
2023 Back-to-School Fair
Each year the Jefferson County Education Committee hosts the Jefferson County Health and Education Fair. The Fair provides free school supplies to pre-registered low-income children in Jefferson County School Districts. Each registered child receives a backpack, school supplies, a free pair of name-brand shoes, and many additional resources like hearing and vision screenings, dental screenings, haircuts, healthy snacks, books, information from vendors regarding school lunch programs, insurance, and much much more. All services are provided at no cost to the children and families who attend.
Annually the Back to School fair serves over 700 low-income children from all over Jefferson County.
To be eligible, a family must:
- live in Jefferson County
- children must be enrolled in Preschool or entering K – 12
- be under 135% of poverty level
Total Stats for the 2022 Back to School Fair:
- Backpacks filled with school supplies were given to 612 children. (including families unable to attend the fair)
- 397 children received a free pair of Adidas Shoes thanks to our partnership with Sneakers with Soul
- 400+ Meals were distributed by Operation Food Search
- 84 Children received a Free Haircut
- 150 Child ID Kits were completed by MO Family Support Division
- 27 Children received Detal services thanks to Upward Smiles (19 cleanings + 8 emergency services)
- 3 Lead Screenings by JC Health Department
- 6 families fill out SNAP applications and 350 students received water bottles with the fruit infuser from University of Missouri Extension Office
- Over 50 volunteers from Schnucks management team, Gracelife Chapel, and American Heritage Girls helped to set up and run the event
- 26 Vendors Including gave valuable information and fun products to everyone who attended